Sustainable/LEED Design Services
Our firm is absolutely committed to sustainable (Green Building) design!
As an engineering and consulting design firm, Henneman Engineering takes the issues associated with energy conservation and corresponding impact to our environment very seriously.
Henneman Engineering fully embraces the concept of sustainable design and LEED Certification as developed by the U.S. Green Building Council. Several members of the Henneman Engineering staff are certified in Green Building design as LEED Accredited Professionals by the Council. Our staff is trained and experienced with respect to commissioning and LEED requirements. We understand the protocols and service demanded for these activities.
The true cost of a building is embodied not only in its initial cost, but also in its life cycle cost. The true impact of a facility on the environment and on its occupants should be considered not only through construction but also throughout the life of the facility. A “whole building” approach to design can make a positive difference in operating costs, the well-being of those who use the building, and ultimately reduce the embedded energy of building materials and the energy consumed from building operations.
Our firm has over four decades of experience designing mechanical and electrical systems for technology driven facilities. Energy use and conservation have always been key design elements associated with systems selection and operation. We have promoted and practiced design innovation in an effort to achieve buildings that are resource efficient. This long-standing doctrine of leadership in energy and environmental design defines who we are and what we strive for as a firm.
Henneman Engineering has provided sustainable design to a variety of clients. Our track record of proven, award-winning energy saving projects has been accomplished by a “team-based” collaborative design approach. This has included opportunities where energy consumption and environmental impact were focal points during the concept design phase and continued through construction and the warranty period in the form of commissioning.
Over the past decade, commissioning has gained recognition as a vital element ensuring that buildings are designed and built in accordance with appropriate energy saving measures. We have commissioned numerous projects by providing additional documentation, testing and training.
Henneman Engineering has also been retained by the City of Chicago to specifically provide independent LEED/commissioning services during design, construction, and warranty. Most of these have been public projects where sustainable design has been mandated. Our role was to assist the architect/engineer design team by identifying opportunities where LEED credits could be accrued for the purpose of certification. We participated in design reviews and developed plans for all LEED and commissioning activities. During construction and throughout the warranty period, we provided basic and advanced commissioning services as required for LEED certification.
Some of the projects incorporating Green Design are:\\
- Actus LendLease – Privatized Army Lodging, Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas and Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas
- Administration Building Addition, Marathon Oil Corporation, Robinson, Illinois
- Avalon Library, Chicago, Illinois
- Blackburn College, Olin Science Building, Carlinville, Illinois
- Bucktown Library, Chicago, Illinois
- Budlong Woods Branch Library, Chicago, Illinois
- Champaign County Water Treatment Facility, Illinois-American Water Company, Champaign, Illinois
- Chicago Fire Department – Fire Engine 121, Chicago, Illinois
- Chicago Fire Department – Fire Engines 18, 70, and 102, Chicago, Illinois
- Davenport Public Library – Eastern Avenue Branch, City of Davenport, Davenport, Iowa
- Harrington College of Design, Chicago, Illinois
- Illinois Fire Service Institute Addition, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
- Illinois Natural History Survey – New Building, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
- Infant Welfare Society Health Clinic, Chicago, Illinois
- Killeen Police Headquarters, Killeen, Texas
- LEED-CI and Commissioning Services, Richard J. Daley Center – Sprinkler Renovation, Chicago, Illinois
- Logan Square Library, Chicago, Illinois
- Minor Meyers, Jr. Welcome Center, Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington, Illinois
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Renovation, Aspirus Wausau Hospital, Wausau, Wisconsin
- New Bed Pavilion, Central DuPage Hospital, Winfield, Illinois
- New Chemistry Building, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- Oriole Park Library, Chicago, Illinois
- Richard J. Daley Center – Fire Protection Addition and Ceiling Replacement, Chicago, Illinois
- Richard J. Daley Center – Sprinkler Renovation, Chicago, Illinois
- Transportation Education Center, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois
- Union South Redevelopment Commissioning Services, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- Vodak Library, Chicago, Illinois
- West Englewood Branch Library, Chicago, Illinois
- West Humboldt Branch Library and Greater Grand Crossing Public Library, Chicago Public Libraries, Chicago, Illinois
- West Side Branch Library, Gail Borden Public Library District, Elgin, Illinois